Thursday 11 February 2010

Finally back to the land of internet!

Sorry it has been a while but since my last post it has been full on.

So when I last left you we were at Wanaka preparing for another 6 hour swim. That evening we both went in a did a 6 hour swim in the lake, I wasn't too sure how i would find it as I have been told by many Kiwi's that Lake Wanaka is the coldest lake in New Zealand. I was pleasantly surprised it was fine! In fact it was crystal clear and tasted good! So we swam along the coastline for safety as unfortunately it is very popular for speed boats-boo! as we swam the evening sun was on our back and i was amazed at how many trees were beneath us, the flood waters form the mountain snow melt must really shift some dead vegetation out of the way! I was then startled by something swimming towards me-i looked up and saw a dog! Some young lads were out at the beach and their dog was either curious or concerned about me but he swam right out to me. I patted him on the head, reassured him that i was fine, with that he started to swim back to shore. The moment I started swimming again, he came back out to me! In the end I had to tread water whilst the owners got him/her back to shore!

The next day did start with the 6 hour swim, it was a lovely swim and we must have covered at least 16km's which felt really good. at times I had to work against head winds and strong currents which are created by the thermals in the water (the warm water rises and pushes the colder down). again though I actually enjoyed 6 hours and i felt better for it than I did in Akaroa which is very promising because this lake is fresh water, therefore more difficult as I have less buoyancy helping to keep me a float. When I fed, i wasn't able to lay on my back and rest i had to constantly tread water!




Beautiful Wanaka! So was the wine at the vineyard in the background!


After drying off we then jumped in our good old house on wheels and travelled from Wanaka up the west coast via Fox and Franz Josef glaciers where we both walked to where you can marvel the huge blue/white and grey ice faces from a safe distance without having to pay for a tour guide to take you up onto it. It was alovely contrast to see it in the sun as last time I was here with Dawn it rained and rained and rained all the way up the west coast! We have in fact been very lucky as the weather has been great, we had our first overcast day with drizzle yesterday and in fact it was very refreshing, all the locals seemed happy about it too!

From the Glaciers we spent the evening in Westport as we waited for the Glow Worms to come out in the 'Glow Worm Dell' This was a small walkway/tunnel that was just off of the road but at night it is magical as it is so dark but lit up with glow worms that have a green illumination in their tail (to attract prey to their sticky web and to attract mates). They cling to rock faces but create what seems to be a very low mystical starry sky!

The next day we drove north to Oparara, this was well out of our way but sounded nice in the lonely planet. It was nice but if we were to do it again we would make a few days out of it as there are so many walks to do up there. We did a couple of bush walks (known as tramping out here) to these HUGE natural limestone arches above rivers (the sort that photographs will not do justice) and we also entered these COLOSSAL caves that went fairly deep underground, they were cool, dark, damp and a great place for spiders (we saw lots of eggs/nests) and Wetas. Fortunatley we didn't see a Weta as I know that they can bite although not poisoness.



The Marble Arch!Franz Josef Glacier, in the sun




From here we then drove to Murchison for the night.

The next day (Sunday by now) we drove to Motueka, this is a small town on the edge of Abel Tasmin National Park. Here we booked up the next adventure and cross training activity.

MORE tramping and sea kayaking! This time though even more intense but less climbing (phew!). So this is why I have been out of touch.

I have now run out of time on the computer, however we are boarding the ferry tomo across to North island. I will then be relaxing with swimming involved around wellington and so will be able to keep in touch more. i will then let you know about Abel Tasmin and the Kepler track etc.

TTFN

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment